The first traffic bridge in Mandurah has been built twice. The first jarrah bridge, built in 1894 for $2000 lasted 60 years. The bush piles came from Pinjarra and the sawn timbers came from Port's Sawmills at Collie. It was built in six weeks by New Zealander, Matthew Price, and a team of men and horses.
In those days there were 15 families in Mandurah and a few on the Western side of the Peel Inlet. The creation of the bridge enabled more families to settle on the Western side of the Estuary.
Ross Kirkpatrick (Oral History) recounts, " . it was a one way bridge. If two cars met on in the middle of the bridge, the car that had the next car behind it, had the right of way. we had the first automated signals in Western Australia . It read "stop" "go", and a man stood there practically all day during the weekends in summer, twirling his pole around, stop, go."
Floods in 1945 and 1952 took their toll as did Torpedo worms and termites. Around this time, a boat also rammed into a couple piles. The condition of the bridge necessitated its replacement.
The new two way bridge was officially opened on 17 April 1953 and still operates today.